Concerned about leaving the house? Want to make sure you can get what you need?
Here’s some good news: several stores, most of them grocery stores, have announced special hours for “at-risk” customers. That includes seniors 60+, those are who are immunocompromised, or otherwise considered more vulnerable.
- Harvest Market, Champaign
From 6-8 am, “shopping will be set aside for the elderly and disabled shoppers.” (updated March 19)
- Schnucks (Champaign, Urbana, and Savoy locations): beginning on Wednesday, March 18 and continuing indefinitely, Schnucks is reserving the first hour of each day – from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. – for shopping by seniors aged 60 and above, and for those who are most at risk of COVID-19.
- WalMart (Champaign, Urbana, Savoy, Rantoul): From March 24 through April 28, Walmart’s 5,000-plus U.S. stores will host an hour-long senior shopping event every Tuesday for customers 60 and older, which will start one hour before stores open. New store hours mean that will be 6-7 a.m. local time.
- County Market, all locations:
From 6-8am daily. “We encourage our other customers to plan their shopping trips around this window of time to allow the most vulnerable customers in our communities the ability to shop during the earlier hours that our stores are open.”
- St. Joseph IGA
Starting March 20, hours for at-risk and older adult population will be 6-8 am daily. Regular hours will be changed to 8 am to 8 pm daily.
- Common Ground Food Co-op, Urbana
Starting Monday, March 23: Designated Senior (55+) shopping hours = 7:30am – 9:00am daily “We respectfully ask our shoppers to honor this designated shopping time to protect one of our most vulnerable populations. Seniors are not limited to these shopping hours but are welcome to any standard store hours.”
- Aldi, all locations (Champaign, Urbana, Savoy)
Vulnerable Shopper Hours: Tuesdays and Thursday, 8:30 to 9:30 am
- Salt & Light, Urbana
Starting March 21, 8 am-10am M-S reserved for senior citizens and at-risk individuals. General hours are Monday-Saturday 8am to 6pm, Sunday 11am to 5pm.
- Old Time Meat and Deli, Champaign (Neil Street)
Starting March 23, will be opening from 9 am to 10 am Monday thru Saturday for senior citizens and customers with chronic health issues.
- Meijer, Champaign and Urbana locations
Starting March 20, senior citizens and other shoppers with chronic health conditions will be able to shop on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7-8 a.m. Additionally, essential service workers and Meijer team members will have a dedicated shopping block on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7-8 a.m.
- Walgreen’s, all locations
Every Tuesday is now Seniors Day with all -day discounts and seniors only shopping from 8-9 a.m. Senior hours are available to senior citizen customers and patients age 55 and over every Tuesday starting March 24, 2020 from 8:00 am to 9:00 am, for a limited time period until further notice by Walgreens.
- Sam’s Club, Champaign
Early Senior Shopping Hours Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7-9 am* for our members aged 60+ and at-risk members. The special shopping hours include pharmacy and optical centers. Free Curbside Concierge Pickup Service to senior and at-risk members who need to shop during these special hours and do not feel comfortable coming inside the building. Just pull up and an associate will take your list, gather your items and bring your order out to your car.
- Target, Champaign
“We’ll reserve the first hour of shopping each Wednesday (8-9 am) to support vulnerable guests, including the elderly and those with underlying health concerns.”
- Dollar General, Champaign, Urbana, Rantoul locations
8 – 9 am daily
Strongly encouraging that the first hour of operations each day be dedicated to at-risk customers. ” In keeping with the Company’s mission of Serving Others, Dollar General wants to provide these at-risk customers with the ability to purchase the items they need and want at the beginning of each day to avoid busier and more crowded shopping periods.”
Looking for info on Champaign-Urbana area grocery delivery or curbside pickup options? Find that HERE, but be aware that these services may be strained and not readily available. We’re listing some other options for pop-up options for grocery delivery or pickup:
- Art Mart, Champaign: Will reopen Saturday, March 28 from 8-4. Hours will be limited to 8-4 daily. To go items, groceries, wine, beer, salads, sandwiches, bread, whole bean coffee and other kitchen essentials. They will not be serving coffee drinks, or items to be consumed on premise. Curbside pick up is available by calling 217-344-7979. Please allow time to get your order together. Pick up at the south entrance.
- Cheese and Crackers, Champaign (Old Farm Shops): Deli sandwiches for take-out, cheese, salami and other meats, fresh fish delivered three times a week (email email@example.com for information), craft sodas, wine, and dry goods. Open 11am – 6pm Tuesday – Saturday; will accommodate at-risk customers. Curb-side service available. http://www.crackercheese.com, or call 615-615-8531.
- Direct from the Farm: Looking for fresh eggs, meat, or veggies? Many farms are in operation, offering pick up or delivery for orders placed directly through the farm. Follow the link to the Market’s map to find contact info for your favorite Market at the Square vendors. maps.managemymarket.com/3755
- Central Illinois Produce/Bakehouse
Central Illinois Produce/Bakehouse will be offering periodic drive-up pick-up service for fresh produce, dairy, and baked goods. Produce and dairy will be available at WHOLESALE COST. Pick-up available at the URBANA WAREHOUSE only. Orders can be placed via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Find all the information including the menu at the Central Illinois Bakehouse Facebook page.
- Bane Meats
Bane Family Meats will continue to offer FREE home deliveries to Champaign and McLean counties during this time. If you prefer, they can leave your items at your doorstep. Contact David at 217.722.2188 to place an order. Stay healthy! 🍲
Due to the governor’s order mandating that dine-in restaurants close, many restaurants are now offering curbside pickup or delivery. Our recommendation: if you’re not familiar with using a service like Door Dash or Grubhub, stick to the old fashioned way of ordering: the phone.
Most restaurants will take pre-payment over the phone. A few we know that do direct delivery service in Champaign-Urbana:
- Siam Terrace, Urbana: great Thai Food. Call 217-367-THAI. Menu here.
- Fiesta Cafe, Champaign: Mexican food. Pick-up or delivery. 217-352-5902
- Einstein’s Bros. is offering delivery out of its University & Lincoln location. Bagels, coffee and more. Call (217) 344-7520, prepay over the phone. There is a $2 delivery fee. No gratuity necessary.
For more, Visit Champaign County has a great list compiled on its website of local restaurants offering pickup, curbside service, and/or delivery.