Seniors can benefit from discounts at many Champaign-Urbana restaurants
One of the coolest things about being a senior: restaurant discounts.
Before we get into a list of places that offer discounts, there are some key things to remember:
- Most important, ALWAYS ASK. Many restaurants offer senior discounts but they do not advertise them and they do not readily make you aware of them. Often you’ll need to ask the host or server if they have a senior discount.
- Discounts can vary by location. For example, one Applebee’s in town might offer a discount while the other Applebee’s across town doesn’t. Discounts also might be in effect only for certain days or specific times of the day.
- Some restaurants require that you be an AARP member (with verification) or a member of the chain’s loyalty club. These loyalty clubs usually do not require a fee.
- Keep identification handy, as some places will require you to verify your age to get the discount.
- Finally, remember that DISCOUNTS CAN CHANGE. Do not assume that the discount you discovered last month remains in effect this month. Which brings us back to the top of this article: ALWAYS ASK.
Here’s a list of discounts that we’re aware of:
Applebee’s: As much as 15 percent off and may require its loyalty club card.
Arby’s: 10 percent off.
Burger King: 10 percent off (age 60 and up). Coffee and soft drinks may bring additional discounts.
Chili’s: 10 percent off (age 55 and up).
Culver’s: 10 percent off (age 60 and up).
Dairy Queen: 10 percent off.
Denny’s: 15 percent off for AARP members; some locations also offer a discounted menu for age 55 and up.
Dunkin’ Donuts: Free donut with the purchase of a large or extra-large beverage; must be AARP member.
Einstein Bros. Bagels: 10 percent off for age 60 and up.
Fazoli’s: Special menu items for age 62 and up; must join their Club 62.
IHOP: Discounts on senior menu items for age 55 and up.
Kentucky Fried Chicken: Free small drink with any meal for age 55 and up.
Long John Silver’s: Discounts vary for age 55 and up.
McDonald’s: Discounts for coffee and other beverages for age 55 and up.
Outback Steakhouse: 10 percent off (alcohol not included); must be AARP member.
Perkins: Discounts on their Fifty-Five Plus menu for age 55 and up.
Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen: 10 percent off for age 55 and up.
Sonic: 10 percent off, or a free beverage, for age 60 and up.
Subway: 10 percent off for age 60 and up.
Taco Bell: 5 percent off and free beverages for age 65 and up.
TCBY: 10 percent off for age 55 and up.
Wendy’s: Discounts vary by location.