Know of an outstanding Champaign-Urbana Illinois senior? Nominations are now being sought for the Senior Illinoisians Hall of Fame inductee Class of 2021.
The Senior Illinoisans Hall of Fame was initiated by the General Assembly in 1994 to commemorate the achievements and contributions of citizens age 65 or older.
Inductees are selected through a statewide nomination and judging process. The program targets candidates in the areas of community service, education, the work force and graphic/performance arts.
• Community Service: awarded to Illinois senior citizens that have shown support for the general public and community-based programs in their area or at large.
• Education: awarded to Illinois senior citizens that have shown a dedication to instruction and the world of academia.
• Labor Force: awarded to Illinois senior citizens that have a record of accomplishment in their employment or professional career.
• Performance / Graphic Arts: awarded to Illinois senior citizens that have a commitment to health and the promotion of well-being or a record of accomplishment in artistic expression.
The judges will select one individual in each of the four categories for induction into the 2021 Hall of Fame.
The program is sponsored by the Illinois Department on Aging (IDoA).
Each year, winners are inducted into the Illinois Senior Hall of Fame during a special ceremony.
Past inductees into the Senior Illinoisan Hall of Fame include the following individuals from Champaign-Urbana.
Lou Henson, Head Basketball Coach at the University of Illinois;
Seely Johnston, former business owner, Champaign
The candidates must:
- be a current Illinois citizen, or a former Illinois citizen for the majority of their life;
- Posthumous nominees will also be considered.
Nominations are due Tuesday, June 1, 2021; winners will be announced by October.
Nominations can be made via an online form; if that’s not desirable or possible, nominations can also be submitted via mail or Fax.
For more information on the Hall of Fame, including lists of previous inductees, visit the nominations page.
Have a question or concern? Call the Senior Hotline at 1-800-252-8966.